Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Song Remains the Same

I don't know about you, but when I finally reach the end of a television series I love, it's really hard to part with the characters. I have to comfort myself with the strange and slightly delusional idea that their 'lives' go on after the final episode -- and that in a way, they are happier because everything isn't quite so simple or predictable.

Today during my morning commute I was listening to a new favorite song, Vaporize by Broken Bells (fortheloveofgod, check out the whole album), and I experienced that same bittersweet pain, but the musical kind. It fades out, leaving you so happy and so wistful, wishing that it could just go on and on. You know?

And then I had this really nice thought, it's been making me smile all day: What if the songs continue past the end of the track? What if there's this place, this dimension, where these perfect melodies go on and on, and every little space is filled with that buoyancy, forever?

I hope someone out there gets this.

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment